Thursday, March 01, 2012

The One Who Escaped

I was hanging out with a friend when Adele’s Someone Like You and Katy Perry’s The One That Got Away were played consecutively. I asked her, do you have someone who got away? I was surprised when she said no. You see, this friend of mine had her fair share of relationships. Thus, I was expecting that she would reminisce and tell me a sad story with a longing look on her face.

“This ex-boyfriend of mine always tells me that I’m the one who got away,” my friend told me. “Well, I’m the one who escaped,” she added. 

It’s because this friend had always been the better half in her relationships. They had her, they lost her. One boyfriend was an alcoholic, one was a two-timer, one was a control freak, and one had a drug addiction. Her worst boyfriend was all of the above. My friend is very lucky because she’s not on the other side of the coin. She’s not the one who always thinks about her ex. She does not spend her time in Facebook checking the account of her ex-boyfriend, comparing herself with his new girlfriend.

The one who got away is happy that she escaped. She’s looking forward to meeting the guy who’s for keeps, the one that, hopefully, will never get away.  In relation to this entry, I'm posting the article below about THE ONE WHO GOT AWAY. I came across this years ago.


So that day comes when you’re finally making sense of things, and you find yourself to be a different person. Things are different, your approach is different, you finally understand who you are and what you want, and you’ve become ready because the time has truly arrived. And mind you, there’s no telling when this day will come...Hopefully you’re single but you could be in a long-term relationship, you could be married with three kids, it doesn’t matter. All you know is that you’ve changed, and for some reason, the one that got away, is the first person you think about. You’ll think about them because you’ll wonder, “What if they were here today?” You’ll wonder, “What if we were together now, with me as I am and not as I was?”...What do you do if it’s not yet too late? Simple…find him, find her. Because the very existence of a “one that got away” means that you’ll always wonder, what if you got that one? Ask him out to coffee, ask her out to a movie, it doesn’t matter if you’ve dropped in from out of nowhere. You’d be surprised, you just might be “the one that got away” as well for the person who is your “the one that got away.” You might drop in from out of nowhere and it won’t make a difference...If the timing is finally right, it’ll all just fall into place somehow and you know, I’m thinking, it would be a great feeling, in the end, to be able to say to someone, “Hey you, you’re the one that almost got away.”                       Source: The Manila Times, Mark J. Macapagal


0 comments:

Post a Comment